[WikiEN-l] More editing of user pages, please (was Arbcom has completely lost its mind)

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 07:38:01 UTC 2006

Matt Brown wrote:

>You don't have a userpage in order to exercise any "right" to free
>speech, but because it helps the project; it aids communication and
>makes people happy.  You never did have the right to say anything you
>pleased there; disruptiveness has always been unacceptable.

It seems to me that many of our recent social problems could be reduced
by changing the culture that actively discourages editing other people's
user pages. Remember, they are on a wiki, and subject to the same GFDL
and "merciless editing" as anything else. Instead of having the uproars
incited by deletions and blocking, just edit away. You don't have to be
an administrator to help out, either.

And yes, I think it follows from this that there are circumstances under
which someone could appropriately be blocked for violating the
three-revert rule in their own user space. I would defer to individual
preferences on almost all matters, but disruptive use of user pages
should be treated like disruptive editing anywhere else.

--Michael Snow