[WikiEN-l] Should we be declaring war on vandals?

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 21:09:20 UTC 2006

> From: geni <geniice at gmail.com>
> To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
> Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:06:44 +0000
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Should we be declaring war on vandals?
> On 2/8/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/6/06, Joanne <joannebennaoj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > In my opinion, CVU activities and people could benefit from another name and
> > > structure (and there are people working on that), but regarding CVU as the
> > > source of all evil, like the Cunctator appears to do, is not likely the way
> > > to accomplish anything...
> >
> > I don't regard it as the source of all evil, nor have I said that I do.
> >
> > I do think declaring war on vandals is the wrong approach.
>
> It has it's uses.
>
> > I do think that the name should be changed.
>
> How about you start your own anti vandle project with a different name
> and see how that does?
>

> --
> geni

Which is what I tried to achieve with [[Wikipedia:Cleaning up
vandalism]] provide an alternate venue for those who don't want to be
associated with fighting imagery. Notice however that removing or
changing its name ***will NOT change the way users approach wiki***

Let me explain (and I stress this is my personal opinion) we don't all
approach wiki in the same way, there are plenty of different mindsets,
and they are all helping on one way or another. So, one person
believes other mindsets are wrong. That person is entitled to his
opinion, but it's an opinion after all.

Think about this. If after a long fight, hurted feelings, alienated
contributors,  etc etc etc CVU name gets finally changed, those with a
combat approach will keeping do so!!!

Thus providing an alternate venue I believe is going to be more
helpful in the long run.