[WikiEN-l] acronym sweep needed

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 8 16:42:16 UTC 2006

"Steve Bennett" wrote

> Examples where the
link points to some specific aspect of a more general topic are a
reasonable exception I suppose.

I really can't agree.  There are so many exceptions.

For example, this morning I was linking instances of [[livability]], which I
had made a redirect to [[quality of life]].  It would have been about the
same effort to paste [[quality of life|livability]] in each case.  But
suppose tomorrow someone second-guesses me, says that 'livability' doesn't
really mean close enough to 'quality of life', it's about amenities or
something.  If I _had_ piped each link there would be the whole backlink
list of [[quality of life]] to look through, rather than a perfectly simple
case of unpick the redirect, start a fresh page.

These tidy-minded things often have little to do with the real issues in
writing a dynamic 'Pedia.

Charles