[WikiEN-l] Comparison with other wikis

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Feb 8 04:23:33 UTC 2006

G'day Steve,

>>Until now Jimbo has had to step in whenever
>>people (especially cabal members) need to be told to cool off. He
>>shouldn't have to. Jimbo's role is being the face of the foundation and
>>being the last court of appeal. He has to handle all the Wikimedia
>>projects -- he shouldn't be spending his time tackling problems on the
>>English Wikipedia.
>
> Agree. I suspect the only issue is getting people to trust the
> authority and good sense of other people. They *must* be appointed
> directly by Jimbo for that to happen, I think.

I suspect it still wouldn't happen.  Witness [[User:God of War]]'s
actions on the CSD page; he's decided that Jimbo's word can't trump
consensus, and "consensus" is on his side, and therefore Jimbo can't
change the CSD to include particularly stupid templates.

What do we do about users --- most of them newbies, most of them bound
up in some way with the userbox debacle --- who think Wikipedia is a
democracy, and any opposition is rogue admins gone Fascist?  Standing
over them and saying "Jimbo says such-and-such!  Respect his authority,
damnit!" probably wouldn't do much good.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"