[WikiEN-l] Re: No more blocking people for who they *are*?

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Wed Feb 8 01:48:54 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Ilya N.

> I'd like to quickly butt in to point out that I'm 14 and
> totally not happy with the pedophile thing.
>
> Yes, we should require maturity. In older times, the
> encyclopedists were the finest academics of all time.
>
> Why not cut vandals some slack? I mean they don't know that
> adding a penis to an article is harming a reputable resource.
> They think it's fun. So why ban them?

Having a bit of fun on your user page and doing the same thing in
articlespace are two quite different things. Judging by accepted community
standards here, adding a penis to (say) [[George W Bush]] is quickly
reverted, but doing the same on your user page won't spur anyone to quickly
revert you.

Peter (Skyring)