[WikiEN-l] No more blocking people for who they *are*?

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 00:11:03 UTC 2006

--- Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a thought in the wake of the pedophile thing. Could we agree
> not to ever again block people for what they are? No matter how
> disgusting, unpleasant, immoral etc. Such things always being at least
> somewhat objective, we should stick instead to only blocking people
> for actions.

I agree. For concreteness, I would mention [[User:LuxOfTKGL]]. I don't know how
valuable an editor he was, but his user page would seem to be an example of a
non-trolling self-declared pedophile.

There is a pragmatic argument: if we ban people on sight for admitting
extreme/objectionable views, then people will not admit those views, but will
edit anyway. It's much preferable that we know who these people are. We also
lose an editor, of course.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com