[WikiEN-l] CVU -> WP:CVP? (was The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 22:47:14 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, Sherool <jamydlan at online.no> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:04:34 +0100, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2/6/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Pretty much the best kinds of project names are ones that are either
> >> expressly positive (i.e. their name assumes good faith, doesn't create
> >> an us/them dichotomy), or failing that are ironicly ugly (like
> >> "bureaucrat", "benevolent dictator", or "spelling nazi" or "mediation
> >> cabal").
> >
> > Vandalism Cleaning Brigade?
> > Grafitti Purging Workforce?
> > Slaves for an Unvandalised Wikipedia?
> > The Anti-vandalism Superheroes?
> > Vandalism Posse?
> >
> > I wonder if ironically ugly is good though. Isn't CVU already sort of
> > ironically ugly? Maybe some people aren't getting the irony...
>
> Whatever happened to just plain old "Recent Changes/RC patrol".

Not sure, but I think that the idea is that this is an offshoot
designed to tackle more complicated problems, to think about long-term
strategy for managing Wikipedia's growth with the regard to the
good/bad edit issue. Or maybe it's just a bunch of excited RC
patrollers. Not sure.

Whatever the case, I think the best idea would be to enfold the
"vandalism-fighting" aspect within a broader strategy of encouraging
good edits and discouraging bad ones.