[WikiEN-l] No more blocking people for who they *are*?

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:49:17 UTC 2006

Hi all,
  Just a thought in the wake of the pedophile thing. Could we agree
not to ever again block people for what they are? No matter how
disgusting, unpleasant, immoral etc. Such things always being at least
somewhat objective, we should stick instead to only blocking people
for actions.

In other words: If someone says, "I'm a pedophile", then by policy
this should not be a reason to block them. If, on the other hand, they
are trolling, and it works, then that becomes a blockable action -
trolling.

I worry that there is a genuine slippery slope where "I am a
pedophile" gets confused with "I am a terrorist", then "I am a member
of Hamas" then "I support Eta"  and so on and so forth. Is it not
better to simply say "We do not block people for statements of who
they are or what they believe"?

Steve