[WikiEN-l] Re: Why has everything gone to hell?

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Tue Feb 7 14:06:12 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

>>Consensus doesn't scale.
>>

>We've recently seen the numbers from Gmaxwell and Kim Bruning that
>show that this is not at all the case with articles - except a couple
>of hundred articles (out of 900k+) which appear to be pathological.
>*Mostly*, people leave articles to others who know about the area, and
>those who know about an area mostly manage to thrash out a consensus.
>The failures of consensus in article editing get a lot of attention
>but they are the *exception*.

The problem is that this exception takes up an exceptional amount of
time that could be well spent on other endeavours. And occasionally,
they degenerate into a really, really big mess that won't stop without
intervention from someone in a position of authority (the autofellatio
and Gdansk controversies I alluded to are the two examples I can think
of off the top of my head).

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])