[WikiEN-l] "Wheel war" (Worst. Userbox. Ever.)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 01:37:35 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, uninvited at nerstrand.net <uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:
> c.f.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Pedophilia_userbox_wheel_war/Workshop
>
> Our actions have real-world consequences. Wikipedia is no longer a
> closed society where we may make our rules and policies as we please.
> Instead we are a prominent web site in a larger world that imposes
> standards of behavior and conduct rather more stringent than
> Wikipedia's own. When we have a lapse in judgement, we put "an
> encyclopedia that anyone can edit" at risk. Our ability to live up to
> "your changes will be visible immediately" without interference from
> the courts, the government, the press, and other powerful institutions
> depends increasingly upon our ability to demonstrate that we can
> conduct our affairs responsibly. Responsible websites don't joke around
> about pedophilia; they shut down any discussion that has the least hint
> of a solicitation for sex with minors.  A user who places a userbox
> reading "this user is a pedophile" might be seen by some as soliciting
> minors.  We can't take the risk.

Too late:
http://www.perverted-justice.com/opinions/?article=11

Somehow I doubt we will see a change in US law just because of one userbox.

> I applaud Jimbo's actions in dealing with this matter decisively and in
> desysopping a few people who clearly lack the judgement to be
> administrators at Wikipedia.

Decisively? No. This isn't over.

> Wake up and smell the coffee, everyone.  With our new Alexa rating,
> we've had our very own September That Never Ended, and the rules have
> changed.

Yes it would appear we are more worried about PR than doing the right
thing. You had better go and delete our [[Race and intelligence]]
article before the media find out about that. Or what if the media
start asking questions about the [[Autofellatio_2.jpg]] image?

--
geni