[WikiEN-l] I'm not allowed to say you're attractive, but...

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Tue Feb 7 00:57:23 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Philip Welch

> >> Anyone using Wikipedia to initiate sexual contacts through
> Wikipedia
> >> will get a very permanent ban on their person.
> >
> > Cripes. And it's Valentine's Day next week, too.
>
> I agree. I think it would be very sweet if two Wikipedians
> fell in love on a talk page. But only if they were both above
> the statutory age of consent.

Well, I dunno. Thinking back to the editor who precipitated all this, it's
clear that he's big on what I'd call frivolous userboxes. He identifies as
"16-ish" (in one of the few items of personal information NOT found in a
userbox), and when I was 16-ish, I had very strong desires for others in
that age range. I'm thinking of Joan Smith here, a 17-ish classmate whose
ripening womanly attributes dominated my adolescent thoughts to a remarkable
degree. If she had appeared naked and willing in bed beside me (in respose
to my fervent prayers), I would not have hesitated. I would have embraced
the moment.

Perhaps young scamp Joeyramoney was being serious when he declared his love
for children, and he meant someone about his age, rather than what we older
and wiser folk might at first imagine. Perhaps he was having a bit of a
laugh at our expense.

I can understand why some O&W editors wanted to shoot him and scatter his
ground up ashes into the Rhine, but I cannot condone this sort of behaviour.

Peter (Skyring)