[WikiEN-l] Dangers to Children

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Mon Feb 6 14:44:06 UTC 2006

How much truth is there to this:

The Parents for the Online Safety of Children (POSC) organization is
worried about parents letting their children into a website that is a
known gathering for pedophiles. Any pedophile can easily obtain a
child's IP address and use it to locate the child's place of
residence outside of the internet. Pedophiles may also solicit
children for sex or attempt to contact them through using WikiPedia
as a medium, or even find out their e-mail address or instant
messenger screen name.

Since WikiPedia allows pedophiles to edit WikiPedia pages and view
the IP addresses of children freely, we recommend that you use
filtering software to block WikiPedia from access in your household
or school.

The internet is already a dangerous lurking ground for pedophiles;
statistics show that about 1 in 5 children are solicited for sex
online, and with the growth of the unregulated WikiPedia, that number
can only skyrocket.

Since WikiPedia refuses to address the issue of pedophiles within its
ranks and the allowance of random editing to pages, we can only
recommend parents to withhold access to WikiPedia.org for the time
being.

Excerpts from http://news.baou.com/main.php?
action=recent&msg_recent=&rid=20679

What can we practically do that would reduce any real risk? (I
exclude fighting among ourselves in a destructive way)

Fred