[WikiEN-l] A novel policy interpretation

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:02:17 UTC 2006

On 2/5/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> [[WP:AN]] currently contains this announcement:
>
> "The userbox Template:User pedophile [...] is a great way of
> identifying those users who consider themselves to be pedophiles. I
> plan on indefinitely blocking any user who includes this template.
> I've already blocked the only user to include this template [...]
> Wikipedia has no obligation to permit deviants to edit. If a someone
> has sexual thoughts about children, keep it to yourself and stay off
> Wikipedia. I can't even imagine the PR nightmare that the Wikimedia
> Foundation would face if articles were being written by
> self-identified pedophiles."
>
> I can just tell this one's going to be a fun argument to watch.
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
> andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

I don't understand how anyone could be stupid enough to attract that kind of
attention to themselves, but really that is one big load of crap. Unlike
yourself, I won't have fun watching that argument. I don't like pedophiles,
but I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to edit Wikipedia. As long as
they follow the rules, they are useful editors. The same goes for murderers
and fascists and terribly close-minded people. As long as someone can leave
their own feelings at the doorstep, it should work out.

No one should be disallowed to edit Wikipedia because of who they are.

Mgm