[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 15:06:34 UTC 2006

The Cunctator wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Jay Converse <supermo0 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Wikipedia's

>>>That's true now, isn't it?

>>>That's because becoming an admin isn't automatic.
>>>

>>You're completely avoiding both my points.  If you give everyone a gun, all
>>it takes is one person to fire a shot for the whole town to erupt in a blaze
>>of gunfire.  If you give trustworthy people, a small portion of them, guns,
>>then those people become a symbol of trust and honesty to everyone else.
>>Obviously guns are a bit of an extreme comparison...
>

> I'm not avoiding your points, I don't buy your logic. Yes, guns are an
> extreme comparison and, I think, a poor analogy. The thought of
> holding a funeral for the loss of a Wikipedia image is pretty
> entertaining, though.
>
> [Not to get into it, but: I'm not a huge fan of a small portion of
> "trustworthy" people wielding guns. Somehow a lot of people seem to
> get killed by guns in the US nonetheless.]

That is because (as I understand it) the rules for firearms ownership
are pretty much the same as what you are suggesting for adminship -
anyone who qualifies, gets teh awesome power. In fact, some states
(well, counties anyway) /require/ people to own guns.

Now, are you *sure* you still want adminship to be automagic?

>>Also, by using circular logic on the second point, you're ignoring the fact
>>that it seems to be generally thought that the current de-adminship process,
>>which relies on admins not coming in hundreds at a time, is already broken,
>>and you want to flood it even further.  You're saying that by adding more
>>people to be looked over, the already bogged-down system will magically fix
>>itself?
>

> No, I'm saying that the current system sucks, and that it should be
> replaced by an "easily given, easily taken away" philosophy.

In case you haven't noticed, Wikipedia is not a little website in some
random backwater of the internet like it was 3 years ago - we're now one
of the Top 20 (Alexa peak of 13) websites _in the world_. We cannot
afford to hand out administrative privileges in this manner. However, I
do think that we should make it far easier to /remove/ adminship from
those who abuse it.