[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

- Essjay - essjaywiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 03:07:45 UTC 2006

For...the...love...of...God.

How many times do we have to go through this? This is at least the fourth
round of "The CVU is the most evil creation since Willy on Wheels," and I
for one am getting sick of it. People didn't like that we had directors, so
we got rid of our directors. People didn't like that there was an
implication that the Foundation might possibly on a rare Tuesday in May if
it is raining approve of the work that we do, so we added a disclaimer to
show that we aren't Foundation supported. People didn't like the way our
logos looked, so we redesigned them. Now that we've been willing to
accomodate on everything else, we're taking fire because we have two images
out of dozens of unsanctioned derivatives (yeah, that includes things like
the COTW's logo) when we actually took the time to ask for the Board's input
on them.

If you don't like the images, IfD them. If you don't like the CVU, then MfD
us. However, you'd better be fair: You'd better IfD every other image that
fits the same criteria, and you'd better MfD every other page that smells
anything like us.

I for one, as the last Director of the CVU, appreciate the support that has
been expressed for us: Thank you all for recognizing what we are about and
supporting our desire to make Wikipedia a better place.

Finally, it has been asked whether we're actually making Wikipedia better;
I'd like to ask the contrapositive: Is alienating a dedicated corps of
recent changes patrollers what you were looking for? Were you trying to make
us feel unappreciated? Will Wikipedia be a better place if we decide to stop
doing RC patrol? If that isn't what you were going for, then you failed to
look ahead, because that is exactly what this is doing. Everytime we have to
stop our RC patrol work and defend ourselves, it is one more time that we
have to ask ourselves: "Is it worth doing this when we keep taking fire at
every turn?"

Essjay
--
Essjay