[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 19:53:40 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Silly, silly me, thinking the Wikipedia Militia was bad. They've even
> got their own freaking logo! Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a gross
> copyright vio.

The logo page (see, i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CVU2.PNG)
has a link to a diff with a discussion of the permissions; they
apparently did consult the foundation people who did not raise any
explicit objections though they withheld the right to raise objections
in the future when they have a more coherent logo use policy. So in
this particular issue they seem to have already scoped it out a bit,
and I'm sure if the foundation decides it is a problem they'll do
something about it.

As for the project itself, I don't see it adding "process"; it seems
like a way to centralize certain resources and participation, which I
don't think is negative in any way.

FF