[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:53:43 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think the CVU and semi-protection are great. I can't
> stand reverting vandalism (could anything be more tedious than
> cleaning up after annoying teenagers?), but I hate to see articles
> I've worked on vandalised too.
>
> If the CVU get off on cleaning it up and actually do something about it,
> great!
>

> If semi-protection stops vandalism happening in the first place, great!
>
> Process schmrocess.
>
> Steve
>
> On 2/3/06, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/3/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Wikipedia's still great, I love it, but really. The Wikipedia Counter
> > > Vandalism Unit?
> > >
> > > Let's just strap on the jackboots and start humming Beethoven's 5th.
> > >
> > > Silly, silly me, thinking the Wikipedia Militia was bad. They've even
> > > got their own freaking logo! Which, if I'm not mistaken, is a gross
> > > copyright vio.
> > >

> > Sure but we tend not to worry about that as long as it stays within
> > wikimedia projects. Otherwise there are rather a lot of othr images
> > that need to go.
> >
> > > "Semi-protection" is also something that bothers me no end. As does
> > > the concept of needing to "semi-protect" talk pages.
> > >
> > > Wikipedia doesn't need protection. It needs participation. It's not a
> > > piece of china, folks.
> > >

> > Ummm are you going to sit there refreshing your talk page once a
> > second to catch all the vandalism at GWB?
> >
> > > Neither is it some kind of dystopian arcology that needs paramilitary
> > > posses threatening people around every corner.
> > >
> > > <crazy old guy rant>There's TOO MUCH PROCESS going on in articles
> > > these days. Too many damn boxes!</rant>
> >
> > [[WP:CVU]] are hadly process heavy. More and better vandles require
> > better tactics to deal with them. Nothing stopping you doing RC patrol
> > the old fashioned way.
> >
> > --
> > geni
>
> Hear, hear.

We need to improve our methods of countering vandalism. If the Counter
Vandalism Unit does this, more power to their arms. The help desk receives
plenty of complaints about vandalism every day which I and other people
respond too.

With regards to semi-protection, we need to rethink our rules about limiting
the semi-protection of feature articles to 15 minutes. The feature article
for Thursday was being vandalised every couple of minutes by a different new
user name but with the same item featuring plenty of pictures of vaginas and
penises.

We had at least three complaints on the help desk and probably plenty more
people turned off by it. We should allow the feature article to be
semi-protected for 24 hours if need be.

Having a feature article is a reward for the hard work of editors in
researching and writing a quality article. Their moment in the sun shouldn't
be spoiled by mindless vandalism. This would allow experienced editors to
continue to improve the article but would stop vandals from giving visitors
a bad impression of Wikipedia.

Regards

Keith Old

Keith Old