[WikiEN-l] So much for books as reliable references!

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Feb 2 17:59:52 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

>http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113858811205659673-1oPuv_I9jyv2P9k_u8qNN_3obQM_20070130.html?mod=rss_free
>
>Publishers Say Fact-Checking Is Too Costly
>By JEFFREY A. TRACHTENBERG
>Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
>January 30, 2006; Page B1

Actually, it's sort of interesting that this is news. While it's
common practice to have peer review for scholarly books, the "peer"
part of the term should be a hint that it's not the publisher doing
the checking! My guess is that our reverence for the printed page
is such that we just assume no one would dare to print without
being certain of its correctness.

Alas, now all the POV-pushers will point to this as evidence that
every source they dislike must be in error.

Stan