[WikiEN-l] Using material on Wiki with permission, but with restrictions

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA wizzard_bane at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 10:47:05 UTC 2006

This will be a rather long e-mail and probably boring
to many. I would like to know two things:

1. As I was reading an article about the murder of
Kitty Genovese, I encountered a term called "Prosocial
behavior". This was, supposedly, different from
altruism in the sense that it was the very act of
doing good - unless I misunderstood it wrong.

Anyhow, I wanted to check this on Wiki, but couldn't
find any info. I then googled the term using quotes
and found 117,000 hits and another 23,000 for the
British spelling for "behavior" - with an "u". That
makes it 140,000 hits for the exact term -- and not
the words by themselves.

I decided to create a stub until I came across an
article that described the term in a very detailed
matter. At the end of the article, it said:

"This paper was developed by a student taking a
Philanthropic Studies course taught at the Center on
Philanthropy at Indiana University. It is offered by
Learning To Give and the Center on Philanthropy at
Indiana University. This page may be reproduced for
educational, noncommercial uses only, all other rights
reserved."

I then thought of Wiki that is using articles from
Britannica prior to 1911, or so, but I understood  the
difference being that the material released by
Britannica was released without any copyrights
reservations, whereas this article did reserve their
copyrights. However, this doesn't seem to violate
anything on Wiki per se, because Wiki qualifies as
both non-commercial and educational -- however, other
sites that mirror Wiki and are commercial (Answers,
etc), do not qualify to those terms.

To my ears, this sounds as a dilemma. Can we publish
material that is restricted as non-commercial, but
which will be made "commercial" by other mirror sites,
such as Answers? I know that certain photos are
uploaded on Wiki and which have similar restrictions
on them as this one.

2. Another thing that I would like to know, and which
relates to this case, is whether we can credit the
article to the author who wrote it. I know this is an
unusual procedure, but think of the benefits: it could
encourage great editors, who may want to have their
work publicized, to make their great work available on
Wiki! It would probably come with troubles, too, as
many others would also want recognition for their
articles, but perhaps exceptions can be made? I know,
for instance, that on E. Britannica, they have
articles written by different people which sometimes
are being credited at the end of the article.

Any thoughts?

User:Anittas