[WikiEN-l] User Pages & Editing in Wikipedia

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 28 21:04:51 UTC 2006

Hello,

An overriding concern in the community, as regards who should be able to
edit in Wikipedia, appears to me to be the avoidance of elitism. I strongly
agree.

The strong concern I have with editing in Wikipedia is the accountability of
the editor. If a person joins a community they are accountable to that
community as well as to anyone that community effects. And, simply because a
person is a Œvolunteer¹ on a project does not mean they should be held to
any lesser standard than one who is not.

I believe anyone who wishes to make edits to Wikipedia should have a single,
individual, registered User Name, User Page and a Talk Page. With this,
anytime a person makes an edit, creates a change, in the encyclopedia, their
User Name is recorded with that edit. Accountability. Trackability.

Presenting to the confidentiality concerns: There should be no requirement
as to content on the User Pages ­ they can be blank if desired. What matters
is the accountability & trackability of that editor.

Marc Riddell