[WikiEN-l] How do "deletionists" find articles to delete?

Gurch matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 28 20:39:33 UTC 2006

David Ashby wrote:
>> Anyone who thinks they're an "inclusionist" should do Special:Newpages
>> patrol some time. OH MY GOODNESS THE FIREHOSE OF CRAP!
>
> Tangent: so the banning of IP article creation has totally failed in
> its stated goal, namely to cut back on the "FIREHOSE OF CRAP"?
>
> Interesting.  Perhaps it's time for a re-examination of that policy.
>
> -David

The banning of article creation by anonymous users significantly reduced
the number of junk articles being created. Back then I was one of the
people tagging, not deleting, but I remember the decision.

But that was over a year ago. Wikipedia has grown quite a lot in that
time, and has become far, far more popular with people seeking to use
Wikipedia for promotional purposes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if
the rate at which unsuitable articles are being created now far exceeds
the rate at which they were being created a year ago.

I fail to see your point, however. Allowing anonymous users to create
articles again would result in yet more unsuitable articles. How does
that help anything?

-Gurch