[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR (contd)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 21:05:03 UTC 2006

On 27/12/06, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:
> Marc Riddell stated for the record:

> > Quite seriously, though, I believe one of the persistent flaws in Wikipedia
> > that is preventing it from having a wider, more professional acceptance is
> > its policy 'anyone can edit'.

> A free encyclopedia that only credentialled experts could edit was
> tried: [[Nupedia]].  "Before it ceased operating, Nupedia produced 24
> articles that completed its review process (three articles also existed
> in two versions of different lengths), and 74 more articles were in
> progress."

It will be interesting to see what [[Citizendium]] produces. They have
a small but enthusiastic community of editors - and experts - and
comparing the best of Wikipedia to the best of Citizendium will in my
opinion be a valid comparison.

There's got to be more than one way to do this - even "within"
wikipedia.org, the different language Wikipedias have very different
community rules and feels to them.

- d.