[WikiEN-l] ArbCom results... :-)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 20:08:00 UTC 2006

[with cc: directly to AC list]

On 26/12/06, James D. Forrester <james at jdforrester.org> wrote:

> Seriously, I share your concerns about potential issues with workload
> being too much,

The most important thing is to avoid burnout. The typical pattern is
1-3 months' enthusiasm then a tapering-off.

Suggestion: set aside X hours a week for AC duties. Do those hours,
but don't run too far *over* them either.

>though I hope (perhaps in vain) that the community will
> take a more pro-active approach themselves as to management of such
> situations so as to obviate the need for the Committee; that /was/
> sort-of the idea, after all. Maybe this year I will be pleasantly surprised.

It's getting there. A lot of the cases of editors who are (how to put
this nicely) *obviously grossly incompatible* with Wikipedia now get
blocked by community approbation - that is, no-one would want to
unblock this person. Which, if you think about it, is actually a far
stronger mark of disapproval than an ArbCom ban.

- d.