[WikiEN-l] Office actions

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 24 08:47:36 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

>On 12/21/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Sure.  I think we first need to recognize that an OFFICE action is an
>>emergency action by a person who is faced with a crisis and must act
>>immediately.  Powers exercised in an emergency have a greater likelihood
>>of being wrong than those which have been subject to consultation and
>>reflection.  The errors do not impugn the good faith of the person
>>exercising the power.
>>
>>Extraordinary powers require extraordinary safeguards against both their
>>intentional or accidental abuse.
>>    1. OFFICE actions should automatically expire after a week unless
>>there has been separate positive efforts to extend for a further period
>>of one week.
>>

>I would argue for 2.

The length of time is a negotiable detail.

>>    2. Key admins should be notified of the reasons for the action, and
>>asked to initiate a cleanup.
>>

>Can see problems with this one. I would argue that letting arbcom know
>after 2 weeks would provide a significant measure of protection.

They probably have their hands full, and I would respect their autonomy
to choose what cases they will take on.  In any event I wouldn't want to
assume that there is a greater conflict than what there in fact is.  The
problems will most likely be repairable with easy agreement from the
offending editor(s).as long as the required fix is clearly explained.

>>    3. Disciplinary sanctions for defying the action  should not be the
>>responsibility of the office.
>>

>Who else is there? Stewards? Generaly stay away from en.

Ordinary admin action should be enough unless things get nasty.  Taking
it out of the hands of the Office is akin to not blocking people when
you are a party to the argument.  The purpose is to protect Danny from
the crossfire.

Ec