[WikiEN-l] "Assume good faith" is no longer policy.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 19:35:20 UTC 2006

> Steve Bennett wrote:
> >On 12/19/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> >>It's like "don't be a dick".  The idea is to do it, not to quote it.

> >I personally agree with Jimbo's elevation of "assume good faith" to be
> >the single mantra which binds us together and makes Wikipedia work.
> >Everyone *does* need to know about. You don't enforce it, you don't
> >beat people over the head with it, but you do make sure people are
> >aware of its existence, and hope they follow it.

> That's better.  More than either a rule or a guideline, "assume good
> faith" is a principle.  It is integral to the five pillars.

It's what I think of as the absolute hard policy - the constitution.

Content: Neutral Point Of View, Verifiability, No Original Research
Community: No Personal Attacks, Assume Good Faith.

I suggest to people that they treat Don't Bite The Newbies as being in
the Community list. Since occasional contributors seem to write a
tremendous amount of our text.

These would be the "constitution" as new rules and procedures should
be considered in terms of them, and ideally as following directly from
them, as directly as possible.

(This is the thrust of the [[Wikipedia:Practical process]] essay,
which as it states at the top is intended to provoke thought and
thoughtfulness rather than be a tick-the-boxes guideline.)

- d.