[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR

Daniel P. B. Smith wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Fri Dec 22 00:05:35 UTC 2006

> From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
>
> Lawyers' opinions
> are still just opinions no matter how many of them are given.  A
> single
> unappealed decision by a low-level judge would be a precedent that
> could
> throw all 20 scholarly opinions out the window.

If I correctly understood what a first-year law student once told
me... and if _he_ correctly understood what _he_ was told... even a
Supreme Court (of the U. S.) ruling is just a set of opinions about
an individual case... and all cases are different.

So, when a lawyer says "thus-and-such is the law because of thus-and-
such Supreme Court ruling," this is shorthand for saying "if your
particular case were taken to court, the lawyers would probably point
out to the judge that there was a Supreme Court ruling in a somewhat
similar case.  I predict that the judge would think the opinions of a
Supreme Court justices are legally sound. And I your case is similar
enough that the judge will feel that their opinions pretty much apply
in your case. Therefore I predict that it is very likely that the
judge will rule thus-and-such way in your case."