[WikiEN-l] Crediting images inside the article text

Iain Huxley iain at mindspike.com
Thu Dec 21 20:57:33 UTC 2006

 >Shouldn't photo credits be allowed *only* in the image description page?

 >I don't see why images would have a special status when compared to text
 >contributions, the credits for which are found also a click away, in the
 >edit history.

This could have the effect of greatly reducing the images available
for use, particularly those of high quality and/or limited availability.

I recently have been up against such an issue when trying to find
some good photographs of whale images for the sperm whale and blue
whale pages (the blue whale page has resorted to using a postage
stamp as its main image).

It turns out any underwater photos of these creatures - let alone
good ones - are in very short supply.  After a while of searching I
found the stock agency http://seapics.com which has many fantastic
pictures you'd have trouble finding elsewhere (while not a fair
comparison, to get an idea try searching for sperm whale or blue
whale at seapics.com and then try the same at images.google.com).

I'm now writing a letter to seapics (snail-mail still has an extra
value sometimes :) to try to obtain explicit permission for use on
wikipedia.  These folk sell images for tens or even hundreds of
thousands of dollars depending on use (some info at
http://seapics.com/information/clients/pricing.html).

Due to the high exposure, allowing just one of their images to be
used in wikipedia would be a significant donation to wikipedial; to
be honest I don't think I have a particularly good chance of success here.

**But** if I couldn't guarantee credits where used, I could be pretty
sure my chances would be nil.

My understanding is that we currently accept images with credit
required when used, so changing this policy would also mean a massive
amount of work.

I'm strongly in favor of allowing credits inside the article, but
discouraging it - favoring images where the copyright holder has no
such requirements.

--Iain
[newbie]