[WikiEN-l] Crediting images inside the article text

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Dec 21 18:59:41 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> I noticed that some people add credits of photos inside the articles,
> saying that CC-BY requires attribution.
>
> Shouldn't photo credits be allowed *only* in the image description page?
>
> I don't see why images would have a special status when compared to text
> contributions, the credits for which are found also a click away, in the
> edit history.

Images shouldn't have a special status.  The attribution of the
authors should be part of the article too.  That's what the GFDL
requires, not that the attribution be "a click away".

One difference with images is that many images are copyrighted by
non-Wikipedians.  This is true with some text, but much less so.  So
with text you can argue that the submitter gave an implicit license.
Not true with images which are copyrighted by someone different from
the submitter.

Anthony