[WikiEN-l] Main Page Featured Article

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 18:52:16 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, Michael Noda <michael.noda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/19/06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Something that occurred to me a bit ago...  We could both freeze and
> > not-freeze the featured article, with a bit of effort.  We could
> > create a new name heirarchy (wiki/Featured Article/article-name) and
> > drop a subst'ed version of the page, protected, down into that
> > subpage, with a link to the "live" wiki article there if people want
> > to see how it may have improved over the course of the day.  If
> > there's bandwidth available, someone could repeat the process (create
> > an updated frozen subst version from the live wiki page) every hour or
> > two during the TFA run, so it doesn't even have to be fixed as of the
> > beginning of the day.
> >
> > This doesn't take any new technology, just a few subpages and a bit of
> > procedure...
>
> I'm fairly sure that you've just described exactly what is to be
> implemented when Stable Versions go online, which we have been told
> since Wikimania is Real Soon Now.

And on that day, someone's manual labors will be simplified.

If we had a known "soon" date on that maybe doing it manually wouldn't be a
good idea, but I don't know that we have any sign of where it is...

(copied wikitech-l in case there is an affirmative answer available)

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com