[WikiEN-l] Main Page Featured Article

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 07:32:21 UTC 2006

On 12/18/06, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 12/18/06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Assuming that a {{subst:}} works recursively and automatically, which
> > I really don't know...  My MediaWiki installation is outside my
> > immediate hands-on test radius unfortunately.
> >

> Temporary substing is something to explore. But it would have its own
> problems, I think -- meta templates aren't substed when you subst the main
> template, from my experience. Substing all the infoboxes and other templates
> on a page can make it pretty ugly, too... unless we were thinking about
> copying all the templates to temporary subpages?
>
> An adminbot is starting to sound a bit more tempting, from my end. Any bot
> would be able to find and protect TFA, and absolutely everything transcluded
> onto it, pretty easily, I think. Though I don't imagine that'll be an easy
> sell. Might be easier to see if we can get pgkbot to report all edits to
> that set of pages in the IRC counter-vandalism channels.
>
> Still just brainstorming, here.
> -Luna

Responding to you and Steve here...

I would assume that this would be a temporary subst; that we'd
essentially freeze the page prior to TFA move, make a completely
subst'ed version, protect that, have it up for the day, and then do a
revert to the immediately prior version as soon as it's done being
TFA.

It doesn't really matter if it's terribly ugly for a while; the freeze
is intended to keep it from being malignly modified.

This does make TFA temporarily not-editable, which people have
objected to, but I don't know that doing so is necessarily a bad thing
given the ongoing highly visible vandalism problem.  How many tens of
thousands or hundreds of thousands of visitors have gotten penis
pictures so far?  8-(

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com