[WikiEN-l] The boundaries of OR

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 18 20:46:42 UTC 2006

"Thomas Dalton" wrote

>We don't need to go through and put "So-and-so says"
> at the beginning of every sentence in the encyclopaedia.

I basically agree. The referencing junkies will push us back a notch, to where we have the 'materials for an encylopedia', not the encyclopedia itself. Or perhaps that has always been where we are. In which case we are delaying the day when we have 'finished' articles.

Is this good or bad? Well, the Internet is full of argumentative people, and many topics are contentious. The way to deal with those people and topics may well be to summarise controversies. But we really do need, even there, a degree of concision; otherwise we are going merely to recreate the scholasticism of past centuries. And then, in fact, people want to look up facts in encyclopedias. They don't always want quibbles.

As with many things here, we'll sort this out; but not very quickly.

Charles