[WikiEN-l] Office actions

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Sun Dec 17 18:27:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:46:53 -0800, theProject
<wp.theproject at gmail.com> wrote:

>How would Wiki[m/p]edia, in the United States, be subject
>to a law in the United Kingdom? Just because some country has a law that
>would prevent Wikipedia from stating something about some particular topic
>doesn't mean Wikipedia has to follow it.

Ah, well.  First up, the editor who posted the verifiable info was not
in the UK, so was, as you suggest, probably safe, but Lauder-Frost had
solicitors' letters sent to at least one editor threatening legal
action, and that's why Sussexman is indef-blocked.  It's a it like the
Scientologists - the threat of all that cost and aggravation can be
enough.

However... Brad's opinion (and that of several others who know the law
in the UK) was that the claim was bogus anyway.  Plus, of course, the
Foundation is not in the UK.  But these things can have degrees of
enforceability outside of their home territory, depending on the
involvement of other parties.  I think Lauder-Frost would first of all
have to take down the London Gazette, which contains official records
which corroborate the events, and that's not happening any time soon.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG