[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 13 02:52:29 UTC 2006

M Roget wrote:
> Can we have a rule that states that any admin who "quits" Wikipedia to
> protest this or that is automatically desysopped? It's one thing to take a
> wikibreak or to leave because of real life time commitments but any admin
> who quits in order to make a point has abdicated their responsibilities.

I used to be a manager; if I knew a valued employee was under some kind
of overwhelming personal or professional stress, and they said "I quit",
I'd say "go home and chill out, let's talk about it in a few days". Just
as for companies, WP has a significant investment in experienced people,
and it's foolish to throw it away on a whim. As they say in the
military, everybody breaks under torture, and we've been way too
tolerant of sadistic nutcases who will stop at nothing to get their way.

Stan