[WikiEN-l] MONGO and the ArbCom

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 13:40:44 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Puppy <puppy at killerchihuahua.com> wrote:
> Is desysopping the answer? Is it appropriate to desysop, generally
> reserved for abuses of /admin/ functions,  for incivility, which is an
> /editor/ action, and usually is addressed with either a caution or
> probation?
>
> Guy suggests a month long enforced break, which seems reasonable to me.

I do think it's reasonable and expected to hold admins to a higher
civility standard. This used to be consensus, has that changed? I hope
not...

But in any case, the arbcom found that MONGO did abuse his admin functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Seabhcan/Proposed_decision#MONGO_misuses_his_admin_tools

I'm completely ignorant to the case other than what I've read on the
page, but it would seem to me that some of the support emails here are
operating in an even greater information vacuum.

After reviewing the material there, I really do believe we're doing
MONGO a favor although it might be too late in any case...  There have
been many "Sole defenders of the  Wiki" who completely burned out when
they realized that the community, in fact, would not let them get away
with anything, such as RickK.