[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Dec 11 15:04:46 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> That's all well and good. But does this mean that NO images of people
>> who are currently alive can be used under "fair use"? After all, if
>> they are alive, potentially one could take a picture of them and
>> license it as GFDL.
> [snip]
>
> It's not hard (finally) to find examples where our policy has
> increased the pool of free content. I don't think you're disputing
> that from that perspective our policy wins.
>
> That alone makes a pretty compelling argument, and as you pointed
> out.. it's that thinking that underlies much of that policy.

I dug up this old thread as a platform to talk about something I just
noticed the other day.  I think Greg is exactly right... even in its
current "weak" state, the policy of preferring not to have fair use
photos when free is possible is generating wonderful incentives for the
creation of free content.

Here is my new example, one I just noticed.  It may be instructive for
us to take a snapshot of the current state of affairs as an anecdotal
benchmark of where we are a year from now or two years from now.

Elvis.

If you look in Wikimedia Commons right now, you will see some US
government photos (public domain, no problem) and a couple of others
that, in my opinion, are there on some very shaky grounds and probably
should be deleted.

If you look in English Wikipedia, you will see several "fair use" photos
which are quite unremarkable and which almost certainly should be replaced.

But how can one get a freely licensed photo of Elvis now?  He's quite
dead or anyhow, if you remember the tabloid craze of a few years back,
quite in hiding. ;-)

But we CAN.  There must be literally hundreds of thousands of photos of
Elvis, some of them quite good, which were taken by Elvis fans
throughout the years.  Surely we can find a handful that the
photographers would love to have in Wikipedia.  Why isn't this happening
already on a massive scale?

I can tell you why... because from the point of view of "free as in
beer" the photos we have (via fair use) in the article are just "good
enough" to kill free alternatives.

What if instead of the photos we have there now, we had a template
{{fair use wanted}}.

The template says "Help!  We need a freely licensed image!"

Clicking takes you to a page with some simple instructions...

1. You must have taken the photo YOURSELF, no uploads of anything else.

2. You agree to release the photo under GFDL and/or CC BY-SA at a minimum.

3. You must have taken the photo YOURSELF.  (Yes, we said that already,
but we want you to know how important it is.)

I suspect if we did this for tons of famous people, the photos would
come pouring in... preserving a bit of history that is currently rotting
in people's photo albums... and making Wikipedia not just a place where
people can rehash tired publicity photos under fair use arguments, but a
place where new culture is formed and born and distributed.

Right now, our reliance on fair use (which I support only in some narrow
historically unique cases!) is killing the birth of a culture of free
photography in wikipedia.

--Jimbo