[WikiEN-l] The vexed issue of sources

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 8 20:34:52 UTC 2006

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> You've just answered your own question.
>>

> Getting lucky is hardly a good method of verifying something... If it
> can't be verified promptly then we have a problem.

That's silly. Is verification not going to be prompt enough if I have to
wait for the library's copy of a book to be returned, or horror of
horrors, have to wait for interlibrary loan? Anyway, in these days of TV
fan websites, one is hard-pressed to find a show that doesn't have a set
of devotees that have complete collections of episodes that they'd be
willing to pass along, strictly unofficially for scholarly purposes, of
course. :-)

If the wouldbe verifier can't figure out how to follow the trail of
bread crumbs that is a document's references, that person is not really
competent to be doing the checking part.

Stan