[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 6 16:08:05 UTC 2006

"Matthew Brown" wrote

> The postings are also interesting from the point-of-view of finding
> what turns off qualified people from contributing Wikipedia.

Well, lack of time, obviously ...

> Unsurprisingly, both blogs mention that the whole 'notability' mess is
> a big barrier, and a big part of our systemic bias.

Our concept of notability is anyway not transparent. It would not be an improvement, necessarily, to have a clearer criterion with a worse outcome. If you target the systemic bias thing, it is fairly clearly the case of not enough 'minority interest' articles created, rather than too many deleted, though.

Academics are going to focus on the borderline cases: the way their minds work. We have least to say about those, really.

Charles