[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 41, Issue 38

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Dec 5 23:31:23 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Daniel P. B. Smith <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 3:49 PM, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:
>
> > From: Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net>
> >
> > On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Puppy wrote:
> >> Excellent solution, may I borrow your prod content for my own use?
> >
> > Yes, but the case I'm worried about is one where the targeted
> > article is
> > not libelous or about living people, still would have content if the
> > questionable material is removed, and actually does have sources,
> > but which
> > are not referenced in the recommended one-footnote-per-sentence
> > way.  The
> > policy is letting people use the rules to disrupt by picking any of
> > that
> > 80% of articles and saying "you'd better source this, now, or I put
> > your
> > article up for deletion."
>
> Nothing about the verifiability policy requires _inline_ sources.
>
> And please stop asserting 80% of our articles are unsourced, when my
> informal check suggests that the number is more like 20%.

Ah how great random page is for sampling articles...  Here's my 10
article "study":

[[Susan Ruttan]] - external link to IMDB page
[[Gudvangatunnel]] - no sources or external links
[[First Serbian Uprising]] - one broken external link
[[Amador County Arts Council]] - external link to council website
[[Estrume'n'tal]] - external link to homepage and to band info at
gollygeerecords.com
[[Workplace wellness]] - no sources or external links
[[Norman Brown (guitarist)]] - external link to official site
[[Nun (letter)]] - no sources or external links
[[Unfinished portrait of Franklin D. Roosevelt]] - no sources or external links
[[Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century]] - ISBN link

40% no sources or external links, 30% one external link, 10% one
broken external link, 10% one ISBN link, 10% two external links.  Of
the working external links, 3 were to primary sources, and 2 were to
secondary sources.

Of course, 10 articles is hardly a scientific sample size.

Anthony