[WikiEN-l] overzealous image deletion?

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 5 01:51:01 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Mark Wagner <carnildo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's not what's being enforced here.  If someone is a noted recluse
>> and the only available picture is a fair-use one, then the image
>> passes FUC #1.  On the other hand, if someone makes weekly appearances
>> in front of tens of thousands of people, there's no reason to use a
>> non-free image of him.
>>

> If we don't *have* a free image of someone, why should we not use a
> non-free image? This is the bit I don't get. Yes, by all means,
> someone should go out and photograph Mr John C Popular Esquire. But
> until they've done that, why deprive ourselves of the fair use image?

Because collecting other people's images and inserting them into WP is
just as much a violation of their rights as it would be to insert the
entire texts of their books and articles? We can hardly expect anybody
else to respect WP's licenses if we don't respect theirs.  Fair use is
supposed to be a way out of unavoidable binds, not a justification for
extreme laziness.

Stan