[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 4 19:31:32 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Matt R <matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm not overjoyed by the "females-only" thing either, so how about we call on
> the WikiChix to open up their fora to both genders? I feel it's a little
> premature to start lobbying for them to be hurled from the Foundation's
> hosting. Wikipedia stands to benefit from initiatives that make it more
> female-friendly.

I agree that segregation is problematic, first and foremost because it
reminds me of many patriarchal religious groups, which have their own
women's groups that meet separately from the males, but who (unlike
the males) have no authority whatsoever. Declaration of gender
identity, active participation in all processes, and demands for
immediate action against obviously sexist or otherwise rude behavior,
seem preferable to me.  From this view, I've always preferred open
forms of association such as
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_WikiWomen>.

That being said, I don't think it's for us males to demand that the
womenfolk open up their new clubhouse to us. If it is the right thing
to do, I do believe that initiative can and will come from the group
itself.

I wonder if allowing anonymous posts to the list (through trusted
individuals acting as gateways) might be a good way to encourage
people who feel intimidated for whichever reason, to participate.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.