[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Josh Gordon user.jpgordon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:02:15 UTC 2006

This is all a long-term problem in online communities. Whether we like
it or not, there is a significant subset of women (and, I'm sure, a
subset of men, but much smaller) who are easily put off by the general
male argumentative/competitive (as opposed to supportive/nurturing)
tone of online communication. The result tends to be lose-lose; the
community loses the valuable participation of these people, and the
individuals find themselves unable to participate in areas they might
otherwise thrive in. This isn't meant in any way to condemn anyone --
it's just how things are. You shouldn't have to be tough as nails to
participate in Wikipedia discussions; however, you do -- and the
proposed list will provide a safe place for the issues that men tend
to belittle.

--jpgordon ∇∆∇∆