[WikiEN-l] Attack blogs in WP:LIVING articles

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Mon Dec 4 16:24:02 UTC 2006

Yesterday I blocked Fys for edit warring and serial reversion in
respect of text sourced from an attack blog in the article on Anne
Milton, a British Conservative MP.  We know from other evidence that
Fys is an active member of the Labour party; this may or may not be
considered relevant.

The content was actually jointly sourced to the attack blog and to an
article in the press.  Another editor has modified the content to be
sourced solely from the press article.

Fys is now agitating for the blog itself to be linked.  I don't think
it's appropriate.  It is probably acceptable in the article on its
author, Tim Ireland, but I don't see how it comes under any of the
acceptable reasons for linking to a blog, especially in a WP:LIVING
article.

Fys being Fys, this is not going to go away until he gets his way or
some escalation takes place.  I'd like to know whether it's worth the
effort - in other words, is it OK to link an attack blog if it is
mentioned elsewhere, albeit as a bit of local colour in the election
coverage?  I note that the blog is not linked from the Times article
from which the text is sourced.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk