[WikiEN-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:57:43 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> mailing list has been created for female wiki editors to discuss
> issues of gender bias in wikis and ways to encourage
[snip]
> If you are female and interested in wikis, I would like to
[snip]

So we'll continue the time-honored tradition of fighting gender biases
simply by performing more prejudiced actions.

Two wrong don't make a right, and I'd like to invite all my friends in
Wikimedia to both decline membership in clubs build around overt
gender discrimination and to reject their biases by refusing to give
voice to their members in our overall community. Subtle biases can be
hard to deal with, but creating a club around overt discrimination is
not a solution.