[WikiEN-l] SOS -- Save Our Sources

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 4 12:18:43 UTC 2006

"Steve Bennett" wrote

> We already have the situation where some sources (ie, web sites) are
> obviously much more verifiable than others (books). Why would
> converting some of the latter into the former suddenly make the whole
> system implode?

Mmmm. But the books are much more _reliable_ than the websites, aren't they?

Things will change. At present we're hearing a lot about ex-copyright books being put online, but not seeing that. What I notice these days is how many older academic papers are now online, particularly in the humanities, but behind subscription walls. In a sense what WP should do is to harness its people to put selective quotes from those, undoubted fair use in the scholarly convention, online. Oh, that's what we do anyway ... seems we should assume good faith of those doing that. In summary, pro tem we should get round the issue with more verbatim footnotes.

Charles