[WikiEN-l] Does openess dull a bleeding edge?

Sean Black hulksmashly at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:25:33 UTC 2006

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:59:31 -0400
> From: "Gregory Maxwell" <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Does openness dull the bleeding edge?
> To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
>
> On 8/31/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We need a task force with a neutral name who will give these articles
> > some proper respect and make them not *just* dumping grounds. (See
> > [[Nuclear weapons in popular culture]] for a fantastic example - it's
> > all about the social effects.) Something like WikiProject Popular
> > Culture Lists. That way those who like them and those who hate them
> > can work together to make sure they at least don't suck.
>
> Ha!  Because so many _in_popular_culture article are dumping
> grounds... I had assumed that all were.
>
> It's a good point though.  Popular culture deserves respectable
> coverage too, it's not junk ... even if most junk is about popular
> culture.

A group of people who know what they're doing working on
in_popular_culture articles would be excellent (I might, ever so
humbly, suggest that I could be one such person... but maybe I'm just
a fancruft-adding idiot). The point is, these articles *could* be
something other than piles of feces. In some cases, just deleting them
and starting over might be the best solution... but most just need
pruning of subtrivia and otherwise cleaning up.

Part of the problem, of course, is a lack of people who know what
they're doing and have some expertise in the subject area... hey,
maybe Pokemon and particle physics articles aren't so different after
all. :P

~~Sean