[WikiEN-l] Fighting over (R) and (tm) symbols

Carl Peterson carlopeterson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 01:36:10 UTC 2006

I thought that a basic rule of thumb was to use a trademark (r, tm, or
p) symbol at the first usage of that word. However, in my experience, it is
usually accompanied by a footnote specifying the owner of said trademarks,
and, as you have stated, is not typically utilized in encyclopedic
materials.

I went back and looked at the history to see what you were talking about
(current version doesn't have them). My main comment is that the trademark
symbols should have been inserted correctly, using the actual (r) symbol
instead of the (R), which is just distracting. The trademark (tm) should
have appeared without parenthesis and in superscript and all caps.

Carl