[WikiEN-l] CITE

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:54:30 UTC 2006

On 18/08/06, Daniel P. B. Smith <wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com> wrote:
> >  Calls to CITE are too often just smokescreen for a weak
> > or incivil or POV argument,
>
> And objections to CITE are sometimes just smokescreens for
> disagreement with the verifiability policy itself.

It's worse than that. Currently the citation policy is that anything
not cited can be removed at any time, without giving a reason. Given
the low level of citing currently, this is a *massive* problem.

I often go back to an article, and half of it is just *gone*, and
sometimes the information quoted names, dates etc. etc.. The
information can be usually checked with 10 seconds flat using google.
But there's *no* requirement to do even a half-assed check.

And they're completely within their rights to do that, in fact it's
POLICY THAT YOU CAN DO IT AT ANY TIME.

The remaining article typically ends up biased of course. They just
deleted stuff they didn't agree with, or 'sounded wrong'.

I'm considering going postal and go on a rampage through the wikipedia
arbitrarily deleting stuff; you know, entire articles, paragraphs,
sentences. It's not vandalism if it's a POLICY, right? ;-)

--
-Ian Woollard

"Victory can be perceived but not created."
For your own security, the Department of Homeland Security is watching you.