[WikiEN-l] Fighting over (R) and (tm) symbols

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Aug 31 12:17:32 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 31/08/06, Stephen Streater <sbstreater at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> It might be different in English law.
>> If you don't enforce your trademark here,
>> I think you lose it.
>

> Business: "We demand you cover your article in (R) and (tm)."
> Wikipedia: "No. Bloody obvious academic fair use, any legal threat
> would be obviously frivolous and probably sanctionable."
> Business: "Well, we tried."

We have also traditionally had good success with simply noting, upon
first use, the the term is a trademark held by so-and-so.  This is a
nice compromise because (a) it is encyclopedic information and (b) it
usually satisfies them.

When they want us to sprinkle (R) or (TM) everywhere, yeah, well, they
can just forget it, that's stupid.

--Jimbo