[WikiEN-l] Asteroids

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:40:27 UTC 2006

On 8/30/06, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I think that a comprehensive coverage of towns is one of our
> strengths at least in the first world. If there was verifiable concern in a
> town over the construction of a Walmart, I have no problem with our article
> saying it.
>
> If someone wants to write about the history and geography of their local
> area from reliable sources more power to their arm. We have had a number of
> Featured Articles on towns and things that wouldn't be listed in traditional
> encyclopedias. This, in my view, is a good thing.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I *agree* with all of
this. What I don't enjoy is tabular data being misrepresented as prose
written by a human. And specifically, the *lack* of all the types of
information you're mentioning. There is a lot more to a town that
demographics.

> If someone wants to write articles on asteroids and other astronomical

Key point: If someone wants to write articles. But they don't. They
want to automatically generate thousands of pseudo-articles from
tables of data.

Steve