[WikiEN-l] Does openness dull the bleeding edge?

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 08:17:17 UTC 2006

> And I'm sure that chefs everywhere will feel honored when they find
> that they add their wisdom along side Marge Simpson's in our article
> on [[Pressure cooking]].

Nice examples. But what's the best way to deal with this? In the past,
when people created encyclopedia entries that were really dictionary
definitions, we set up Wiktionary. When they started pasting the text
of national constitutions, "Project Sourceberg" was set up. As
quotations accumulated at the end of articles, Wikiquote was created.

I don't think Wikipedia should be an encyclopedia that connects
everything to The Simpsons somehow. Do we need a "Wikitrivia" project
(or perhaps this idea can be abstracted in a more useful fashion) to
collect all the meaningless pop cultural crap, or is existing policy
sufficient to remove it?

Some related discussion from 2003 at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiTrivia
--